Thursday, July 12, 2007

Loan Originator?

[Subtitle No. 1: Welcome to My Journey of Self-Discovery]
[Subtitle No. 2: How many times can Beth f*** up?!]

Thanks, Jon Symon, for your great site. 'Great Failures of the Extremely Successful' has just been added to my books-to-read list!

Here's the story:
In fall 2003 I bumped into John, an aquaintance of mine. We chatted. He had just left his job and joined an innovative home mortgage company. John is not a 20-year-old bubblehead. He's a 46-yr-old family man with responsibilities. 'Let's have lunch and I can tell you more about my company!' he said.

Over lunch he described the loan origination process and the handsome commissions to be made ($3000 - $7000+ per loan). I was intrigued. I took the plunge, attending intensive training seminars and ultimately obtaining my state license.

However, my 'Originatomobile' never left the parking lot. (As Dan Fogelberg put it, 'Some kind of message comes through to you.')

We (four other trainees and I) had just finished a tutorial with John at his home and were sitting in front of his computer. He put the company's slick marketing DVD into the DVD drive and as we watched the video I thought, 'It would be so much fun to make that!'

More Tomorrow ...

No comments: