Tuesday, July 10, 2007

# 8 - Pharmacist or Dancer ...

When you figure out your commute time to and from work, time spent getting dressed, the taxes and other deductions that reduce your gross wage, and the 'psychic' costs of just trying to get along with co-workers and avoid office politics as much as possible, you realize how cheap you are!

[Here's an interesting article by a Mathematician about time.]

2003 was a tough year. As I've mentioned I lost my job in June, and about 3 months later I got a call at 5:00 am on a weekday morning, and my heart fell to the floor. It was my Dad's wife calling to tell me he had died of a sudden massive heart attack. (My parents divorced in 1972; Dad moved to Fort Lauderdale where he had a successful career as a Unity Minister.)

By October, despite debilitating depression, I latched on to some retail ghetto jobs which at least provided a steady paycheck. One of the jobs I had was working at a trendy gallery/restaurant owned and operated by two gay men. (My experience there in itself would be excellent material for a sitcom...)

One time I was kidding around with one of the waitresses - oops I mean servers - and we got around to complaining how slow it was that evening. 'Hell, we should just go to ____'s and dance naked for 500 bucks a night!' she said.

'500 bucks?!' I asked incredulously (I am clueless about this occupation). Well yes, she told me that $500 was practically an average amount for a topless dancer. I didn't pursue specifics - she seemed to know what she was talking about.

For roughly 3 hours of jiggling around in a tight skirt and no top, and bein' friendly with the guys, these dancers make more money than 70% of women. Holy Guacamole, Batman! This website shows top-10 Highest Median weekly earnings for women in 2005. Dancers still beat 'em! Plus, they don't have to put up with rush-hour traffic, neither do they have to invest in expensive suits and drycleaning ...

No comments: